Outdoor Burning

Public Education

Fall Prevention

Members Only


District 27

Outdoor Residential Burning Areas


No Burn Area

District Overview




You can convert dead leaves and grass clippings into healthy food for your landscape. Composting is a convenient and affordable way to manage yard waste, creating nutrient rich mulch that will improve your soil and the health of your plants. Home composting also serves as an invaluable educational tool, teaching youngsters about conservation, the cycle of life, and inter-connectedness of the natural world.

Items Ideal for Composting

● Grass clippings
● Leaves
● Prunings
● Wood chips


● Eggshells
● Vegetable waste
● Coffee grounds
● Tea bags






For more recycling and composting

information go to waste


Are defined as cooking fires, campfires, and bonfires using charcoal or firewood that occur in designated areas or on private property for cooking, pleasure
or ceremonial purposes. A permit is not required for a recreational fire. Fires lit in chimneys, fire bowls, similar free standing devices and barbecues also
fall under this definition.

Fires must not exceed three feet in diameter or two feet in height. Only dry seasoned firewood, charcoal, or manufactured fire logs may be used.

The area should be clear of vegetation that could allow the fire to spread and must have minimum setbacks of (10) ten feet. The fire must be attended by an adult and adequate water to put the fire out must be available.

►► ►  Recreational Fires are prohibited during an air quality or fire danger phase 2 burn ban. 
Contact the Fire Department before you burn to determine if there is a burn ban in effect or if the regulations have changed in your area - 425-222-5841.

King County Fire District 27
4301-334th PL SE
PO Box 609
Fall City, WA 98024

Compost it Instead


Recycling Yard Debris
Tree, brush, yard debris and non treated wood
can be recycled at the following locations for
a nominal fee:

Cedar Falls Transfer Station

16925 Cedar Falls Rd SE, North Bend, WA 98045

206-296-4466  King County Solid Waste-Cedar Falls

Cedar Grove Composting

17825 Cedar Grove Rd, Maple Valley, WA 98038


Yard waste pick-up

May be available from your local refuse company.
Contact Republic Waste Disposal 1-800-221-4508.

Fire District 27 does not endorse the providers listed.
The list is provided as a courtesy to the public


Unlawful Outdoor

Illegal materials:
Garbage, asphalt, petroleum products, paints, rubber, plastics, dead  animals, cardboard, paper (other than what is necessary to start a fire) treated wood, demolition and construction debris, metal, or any substance that releases toxic emissions, dense smoke, or obnoxious odors.

Itís illegal to smoke out your neighbor, the emissions of smoke from the fire cannot be detrimental to the health or safety of any person, cause damage to property or business, or create a nuisance.

Are there times when residential outdoor burning is not allowed?  Yes, during an air pollution episode,  impaired air quality, fire danger ban, if the wind is blowing in excess of seven mph and during the  "Seasonal Outdoor Residential Yard Debris Burning Moratorium" from June 15 through September 30.

Land clear burning is no longer allowed in  King, Pierce, Kitsap and Snohomish Counties.

 Violations Carry Stiff Penalties

If you violate outdoor burning regulations you can be fined a minimum fine of $2,000 plus the cost of the Fire Departmentís response.

Burn Barrels are illegal

Frequently Asked

Do I need a permit to burn?   

Yes - Outdoor
residential yard debris burning requires a permit from the Fire Department.  A recreational fire does not require a permit.

Is there a permit fee? No

Are there areas in the District were Outdoor Residential Burning is not allowed?  Yes - Areas of the district with high population densities are restricted from burning outdoor yard debris.
Click on the link to the ► Restrictive Burn Area Map.

What are the size limitations and setback requirements for a residential yard debris burn pile?  The burn pile cannot exceed 4 feet in diameter by 3 feet in height and the fire must be at least 50 feet away from any structure.

What materials can I burn?  Only natural vegetation, yard debris, clippings and branches originating from your property.

Other Rules that Apply:  The person responsible for the fire must contact the Fire  Department each day to inquire about burning conditions prior to igniting the fire. A person capable of extinguishing the fire must attend it at all times, and it must be extinguished before leaving it. Burning is to be conducted during day light hours only.






















The Puget Sound Clean Air Agency

Changes to outdoor burning regulations will continue to occur as population densities increase
and alternatives to burning are made more available. The Puget Sound Clean Air Agency has adopted state outdoor
burning regulations and enforces them in King, Kitsap, Pierce and Snohomish Counties. 

For text of regulations and additional information